7th Generation Advisors stands in solidarity with black, indigenous and all people of color in fighting police brutality and systemic racism, including environmental racism. We recognize that, in order to stand up against injustice, we all need to do so much more. Through our work we pledge to commit ourselves to listening, learning, and helping to root out environmental racism, working towards a world that is equitable and just for all.
Black Lives Matter.
There is much to do, but to begin, we are committed to:
- Through our Clean Energy Access Fund, identifying and prioritizing projects that are in communities of color and viewing potential projects through a racial equity lens.
- Through our Protecting our Waters program prioritizing and supporting projects in underserved communities.
- Educating ourselves and participating in informational forums to deepen our understanding of unconscious bias and diversity, equity and inclusion.
We also pledge to be better allies and partners with leading organizations and front-line voices against all forms of injustice and encourage everyone to listen, follow, share and donate. Here are some organizations to start with:
- Black Lives Matter
- Climate Justice Alliance
- Coalition of Communities of Color
- Color of Change
- Equal Justice Initiative
- NAACP Environmental and Climate Justice Program
- NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund
- National Urban League
- The Bail Project
- 137 Ways to Donate in Support of Black Lives and Communities of Color
To learn more, we urge you to read and share information like this:
- Black Environmentalists Talk About Climate and Anti-Racism
- ‘Climate Change Is Racial Injustice’: Students Speak Their Truth In Winning Podcast
- Dr. Robert Bullard – Father of Environmental Justice – https://drrobertbullard.com/ and African Americans on the Frontlines of Fighting for Environmental Justice
- Environmental racism case: EPA rejects Alabama town’s claim over toxic landfill
- Environmental racism has left black Americans three times more likely to die from pollution
- Environmental racism scholar on pollution as violence
- EPA Finds Black Americans Face More Health-Threatening Air Pollution
- Historically racist housing policies exacerbating climate change effects in low-income Portland neighborhoods
- “I’m a black climate expert. Racism derails our efforts to save the planet.” by Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson in the Washington Post
- Public Health Resources for Understanding Environmental Racism
- Louisiana’s ‘Cancer Alley’ Is Getting Even More Toxic — But Residents Are Fighting Back
- Study Finds Racial Gap Between Who Causes Air Pollution And Who Breathes It
- Why Every Environmentalist Should Be Anti-Racist